Job Title: Public Works Administrative Assistant
- State Retirement
- Holiday Pay
- Life/Health/Dental Insurance
- Vacation/Sick Leave
- Basic skills typically associated with a high school education.
- Possess a valid Alabama driver’s license and be insurable.
- Must obtain and maintain an ADEM Landfill Certification.
- Possess one year’s experience in a similar environment with some experience working with supplies and vendors preferred.
- Any combination of education and experience which provides the qualifications listed above will be considered.
Completed Applications must be received by October 24, 2017 at 4:00 p.m.
JOB SUMMARY: This position is responsible for providing administrative support for the Public Works, Landfill and Sanitation Department.
1. CUSTOMER SERVICE:
A. Maintains records of all complaints, requests for services, and other general duties.
B. Manages and prioritizes all information from the public; troubleshoots and finds answers to questions; returns calls and e-mail.
C. Assists in resolving problems and ensuring that the city provides effective and efficient services to the public.
D. Fills in at Landfill Scale House as needed.
2. RECORD KEEPING:
A. Manages all records and files for Public Works, Landfill and Sanitation, including records for transfer Sanitation truck and comparing scale readings for accuracy; assists with Landfill records, including records of incoming waste quantity and types.
B. Manages all records for City-Wide Maintenance. Maintains monthly physical inventory records of stock parts for city vehicles.
C. Maintains data and completes monthly reports on departmental activities, including maintenance, household garbage, transfer cost, fuel used, calls received, containers list, and new containers.
D. Manages the budget for the Public Works, Landfill and Sanitation departments. Codes invoices for each Department and City Wide Maintenance before forwarding to Director for approval.
E. Fills out First Report of Injury reports and forwards to the Human Resources Administrator; and attends safety meetings.
3. Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED BY THE POSITION:
*Knowledge of city policies, ordinances, safety regulations, ADEM regulations, and sanitation regulations.
*Knowledge of traffic safety regulations.
*Skill in the use of computer software specifically: Microsoft Word, Excel and Quicken Books;multi line phone systems and other standard office equipment.
*Ability to read and comprehend written material and instructions.
*Ability to communicate with the general public in a pleasant manner to resolve issues.
*Skill in oral and written communications.
*Skill in distinguishing waste types and special handling by the landfill.
*Skill in scale readouts.
• SUPERVISORY CONTROLS: The Public Works Director assigns work in terms of general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with procedures, accuracy, and the nature and propriety of the final results.
• GUIDELINES: Guidelines include city policies, city ordinances, ADEM requirements, and written directives. These guidelines are generally clear and specific, but may require some interpretation in application.
• COMPLEXITY: The work consists of related duties connected to providing administrative support for the Public Works Department. The variety of daily tasks contributes to the complexity of the position.
• SCOPE AND EFFECT: The purpose of this position is to provide administrative support for the Public Works Department. Successful performance helps ensure the efficient operation of the Public Works Department.
• PERSONAL CONTACTS: Contacts are typically with co-workers, other city employees, and the general public.
• PURPOSE OF CONTACTS: Contacts are typically to give or exchange information, provide services, and resolve problems.
• PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The work is typically performed while intermittently sitting, standing, stooping, walking, bending, or crouching. The employee occasionally lifts light and heavy objects, climbs ladders, and distinguishes between shades of color.
• WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work is typically performed in an office, stockroom, or warehouse where the employee may be exposed to noise, dust, dirt and grease.
• SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY: None.
The City of Hartselle is an Equal Opportunity Employer